Haines & Lagerquist CPAs is currently seeking to hire an experienced Tax Manager.
The Tax Manager is responsible for meeting client needs and requirements by overseeing bookkeeping, tax preparation and planning as well as by proactively maintaining client relationships and supervising other staff in the process of delivering outstanding client service.
The Tax Manager also supervises staff working on various accounts from both a technical and strategic perspective, ensuring that work products are of the highest quality and client questions or concerns are being proactively addressed.
- Review staff bookkeeping to ensure accuracy
- Review client general ledger for accuracy and ensure that there are no coding errors
Payroll Processing/Payroll Tax Preparation
- Review client payroll withholding calculations
- Calculate taxable fringes
- Review quarterly payroll tax forms, W-2’s and 1099’s
- Review 1099 reconciliation to general ledger
Income Tax Return Preparation
- Review business, individual and trust income tax preparation
- Review workpapers
- Research complicated tax issues
- Prepare and review year-end tax planning
- Maintain responsiveness to client needs and deadlines
Client Relationship Management
- Establish, document and maintain clear information on client-specific needs and objectives
- Review previous client activities to effectively identify unique technical requirements or considerations
- Ensure staff engagement with clients in a proactive and positive manner
- Work with the team to ensure that client information and updates are properly captured in applicable software and systems
- Communicate directly with clients and with other agencies or entities on their behalf regarding tax and accounting matters
- Assist with business development efforts including meeting with prospective clients, preparing proposals and evaluating new client needs and potential ‘fit’.
- Support business development by attending applicable business and networking events to raise and maintain the firm’s visibility in the Maryland business community and beyond.
- Work with the President and with other staff and resources to support marketing and business development activities with the firm’s target market segments.
Skills & Expertise
- Must be currently licensed as a CPA in the State of Maryland
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or related field
- Minimum 8-10 years tax preparation and review experience, preferably in a high volume CPA firm
- Attention to detail
- Ability to review the work of others for accuracy
- Experience with preparation of 1040, 1041, 1120, 1120S, 1065, 990, 706, 709 and 5500
- Experience in multi-state taxation
- Knowledge of fringe benefits
- Proficiency in accounting software as well as workflow systems used in the accounting field, as well as MS Office products and QuickBooks
- Demonstrated willingness and interest in business development in a CPA firm
Please submit a resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. No phone calls please.